NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Mud-N-Yer Eye Frolic

When: April 23-25 2010 34th annual

Where: Hollister Hills State Vehicular Recreation Area (HH-SVRA)

The Mud-N-Yer Eye Frolic hosted by Mountain Transit Authority (MTA), is one of the longest running four-wheeling events in the country and for many, it's the traditional opening of the wheeling season. We have about 200 4x4 vehicles and about 600 participants each year. MTA is a small club of only 15 families, so we depend on volunteers to help us manage the event. We have about 40 volunteers which help us put on the event every year which includes 4Play 4wheeler four wheel drive club and a few others to help us.

The Mud-N-Yer Eye Frolic is held at Hollister Hills State Vehicular Recreation Area in Hollister, California. The wheeling area of the park has 24 miles of trails on 800 acres of land. The trails range from easy fire roads to black diamond hill climbs and cover almost 2,000 feet of elevation gain. Some of the best sections of trail that MTA maps out are uncharted and virtually unknown.

Everything starts very early on Friday morning with participants lining up to get a good campsite-it's first-come, first-served. By lunchtime on Friday, the camping area is like a small town with people picking up registration packets, meeting friends and kids playing. In the afternoon we set up an RAMP TRAVEL INDEX (RTI) ramp for a little friendly flexing competition.

MTA maps out a self-guided trail route with challenging routes for all vehicles including some alternate "hard way" sections for those with more capable vehicles. The trail this year covered every major area of the park. Along the trail we set up two games to provide a little competitive fun. In years past we have had games like the Treasure Hunt, where participants had to search their vehicle for all sorts of odd items. There was also the Toilet Toss, where passengers had to toss a wad of toilet paper through a series of open toilet lids painted with appropriate pictures.

Saturday evening begins with a catered barbeque dinner. After dinner, we have a live band with dancing under the stars. Years ago the stage was a flat bed trailer, the dance floor was laid out with hay bales and we used a generator for power. Today we have a raised and covered stage, a concrete dance floor, bench seats and power, all of which were built for the HHSVRA by MTA over the years.

Sunday is awards and raffle day . We gave out awards for trail games winners, a hard luck award for most breakage, largest club attendance, longest distance traveled and, of course, muddiest truck. The Frolic is a family event and we hold a kid's raffle as well as an adult raffle. All kids are given a raffle ticket for a chance at a main prize. After the main prizes are raffled, any kid who didn't win is given a grab bag of cool kid stuff. Our main sponsor, Stevens Creek Toyota of San Jose, CA, gives us a Warn winch every year. We usually have a set of tires and other high value prizes from local 4-wheel drive parts suppliers and shops. Smaller items are donated by other Toyota truck, Land Cruiser and 4-wheel drive clubs. MTA members also donate to the raffle and are not allowed to buy raffle tickets. All raffle prizes are won by the participant that’s our policy.

Click here for more information about Hollister Hills four wheel drive

park.

Registration is here:

www.mta4x4.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id...

UPDATE 1-30-10

MTA’S MUD-N-YER-EYE FROLIC AGENDA 2010

FRIDAY

8:00 am - Camp Opens 
1:00 pm - Registration Opens and Safety Check Begins 
10:00 pm - Registration and Safety Check Closes

SATURDAY

6:00 am - Registration and Safety Check Opens 
NOTE: DRIVERS MEETING 15 MINUTES 
BEFORE SCHEDULED TIME TO LEAVE - BE PROMPT! 
7:00 am - Group 1 Departs (First come first serve 
Basis. Approximately 40 rigs per group.) 
(Groups will leave every 45 min. till all rigs are out the gate Last run 10:45 a.m.) 
7:45 am - Group 2 Departs 
8:30 am - Group 3 Departs 
9:15 am - Group 4 Departs 
10:00 am - Group 5 Departs 
10:30 am. - Registration Closes 
10:45 am - Group 6 Departs 
4:30 pm - GATE TO PARK WILL BE LOCKED! 
5:00 pm - Poker Run Closes 
5:30 pm - Dinner 
7:00 pm - Dance Begins 
7:30 pm - Dinner Ends 
7:30 pm - Cash Prize $50.00 
8:30 pm - Cash Prize $75.00 
9:00 pm - Cash Prize $100.00 

SUNDAY

9:00 am - Kids Drawing 
10:00 am - Big Drawing and 
12:00 pm - Trophy Presentation 
2:00 pm - Frolic Camp closes. 
TBD - Trails reopen for four wheeling 

You must register with the ranger station to do any wheeling on this day!

For question please PM Boss73 or email @ admsndler1@yahoo.com

Views: 136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds fun... I'll be there!
what's with the emo font color?
Barring any craziness I'll be there
so you won't be there?
I'm getting back from Hawai'i on that Saturday....will have to miss it.
I'm down
Updated the OP with event times
So where do we sign up for this?
I was hoping that it would be up on our Website by today Feb 1st, but I just went there and nothing as of yet.

I thought it would be up and posted this week (I hope by today). If its not posted by tomorrow PM me your address and I will shoot you out a copy of the registration..

Keep checking here :www.mta4x4.com
OK I just got word that the Registration is up on the site

GO here:

www.mta4x4.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id...
Woah... definitely more expensive than I thought it'd be. I may have to reconsider this.
Well price is a consideration. Most organized events will have a cost. We work our buts off to give everyone the most bang for their buck.. Planning for this event starts month in advance.

Understand that this is the way MTA and most clubs who put on these events generate money for activites. The money that is generated by this event goes right back into our sport with many donations from MTA . Remember when MTA Stepped up to help Hollister Parks pay for the lunch that we all ate at the Hollister clean up day? Guess where that money comes form..... By running events like these we can also give to several other trails issues and causes.

Believe me I understand that anyone can go to Hollister pay five bucks and go wheel, I know I do. But many people consider this event the kick off of wheeling season for them so this is a big part of how they start off the year of wheeling. After 34 years people kind of get use to going to this event.

I write this because I want people to understand that its not about making money for the club, its about generating money to put back into our sport so we ALL can enjoy it.......

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service